20 March 2011

To saying Amen more

Last night, I was remembering my good friend that I met last summer in D.C. We were roommates for 2 months and had an instant connection. But I was always caught off guard by a superlative she used nonchalantly.
AMEN.

She used the word in any conversation when in agreement with the said statement (makes sense since amen does mean "so be it").

Last summer, this was just her "thing", but now I doubt. Why can't I embrace it, too? When blessings come someone's way, why don't we respond more often with "Praise God!" or when in agreement say, "Amen!" instead of "awesome, that's soooo great." Did God really mean for this to be language for special use on Sundays?

It serves as a reminder for the person giving and receiving--a calling to the One that we are actually in agreement.

Praise the LORD, my soul;
   all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the LORD, my soul, 
and forget not all his benefits.

-Psalm 103


Amen! 
Dedicated to Shelby Nirk. 




No comments:

Post a Comment