22 February 2012

I finished!



Yes, I did! I ran 3.1 miles in 32 minutes which would not have happened if my friends we're not pushing (dragging) me along the way.

It was a numbing 19 degrees when we woke up at 5:45 in the morning.
The run that we thought we were running in a shirt and shorts turned out to need layers and layers of shirts and jackets, tights and shorts, 2 pairs of socks and something to cover the ears. Something that's not very easy to find at Target the night before.

Nonetheless we did it. With 10,000 other people!
And eventhough there was a risk for hypothermia, Hanna ran the 15K and ran it well! She finished in an hour and 30.

The best part about the run? The chocolate, duh. That warm fondue hit exactly the right spot.

So proud of myself for finishing my goal! It makes my run in March so much less intimidating. I even think I can beat my time! I guess I just can't believe that the perspective I have now. Before 3.1 miles seemed like forever, and now--I'm ready for the next challenge.

Though paying money to put pressure on my legs and lungs with thousands of other people makes no sense when you think about it (what's wrong with us?), the effort deserves a reward. Chocolate, medal, appreciation, whatever!

Whatever your goals may be, push through until you achieve what you set out for!
If you need something to work for, don't wait for someone else to give you something to do.

When you leave the academic world, it's nice to know that the burden of finishing a paper for the class you dread is gone. But it may have been the one thing that kept you working your brain, your muscles!

Take a step back. Are you doing all that you can do with your potential? Yes, all I did was run a race. A very short one in many eyes. But I need that confidence, that assurance to know that I'm capable of that and much more.

You are, too. Go seek it.

No comments:

Post a Comment