28 February 2012

The opposite of faith is not doubt.

Perhaps the opposite of faith is not doubt. Perhaps it is fear. To lack faith perhaps isn't as much of an intellectual disbelief in the existence of God as fear and distrust that there is a good God. If I don't emotionally believe, practically believe, in the goodness of God, am I a believer? Don't the believers have to believe? Don't the saved have to trust the Savior? For yes, salvation from sins, but this too: the salvation from fear.
From One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp 

I've accepted this perspective. It echoes what James about faith without works. I used to interpret the passage as my faith was dead if it wasn't accompanied by works.
Now I understand, what is faith if it isn't in my works? The things I do and say everyday.

How do people know you are saved?

No comments:

Post a Comment