06 June 2012

Thanks Ray.

I had a crazy teacher my senior year of high school. Though she was eccentric, I learned so much from the books we read and conversations we had in that class. One of those books was Fahrenheit 451--a staple in every English classroom.

Ray Bradbury's book was the beginning of my love for fiction, narratives and science fiction. He gripped me with such a relevant theme-- the destruction of knowledge, of books.

Thankfully, I think we've regressed from trashing literature with the advent of the reading tablets. I read a statistic yesterday that said print magazines have seen increased readership because of millennials.

I leave with words from Bradbury that I keep close.
Most of us can't rush around, talk to everyone, know all the cities of the world, we haven't time, money or that many friends. The things you're looking for, Montag, are in the world, but the only way the average chap will ever see ninety-nine per cent of them is in a book. Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment