02 August 2011

Awestruck.

Just finished reading "Heaven is for Real." I heard about this book a few months ago and knew I wanted to read it. Thanks to my friend Christabelle, I finally got the chance.

I thought I was opening up a book that was going to humor and entertain with a couple of short stories and glimpses into a kid's "trip to heaven." Instead, the book had me reeling, crying, laughing and now just absolutely awestruck with what little Colton saw and experienced when he was four.

I don't want to give away all of the stories from this book, but I want to share this one thing.

http://www.artakiane.com/

This is a portrait, "Prince of Peace" painted by Akiane Kramarik. She was 8 years old when she painted it. Akiane also had visions of God and heaven at the age of four. Her parents were atheists and she had no external influences in her life at that age; television or preschool to guide her in any way.

Todd, Colton's dad, recalls in the book that his family often ask Colton what Jesus looks like...


"Still, of the literally dozens of portraits of Jesus we'd seen, Colton had still never seen one he thought was right." 

"Take a look at this," I said nodding toward [Akiane's painting on] the computer monitor. "What's wrong with this one?" 
He turned to the screen and for a long moment said nothing.
"Colton?"
But he just stood there, studying. I couldn't read his expression. 
"What's wrong with this one, Colton?" I said again. 
Utter silence.
I nudged him in the arm. "Colton?"
My seven-year-old turned to look at me and said, "Dad, that's one's right." 


And now I can't stop looking at this painting of my King.

No comments:

Post a Comment