23 June 2010

I rant a little.



My first post quoted Benedetto who believed D.C and the people here are disconnected with the rest of the country. This becomes more and more real as I live here.

The Capitol: before this field trip in the wee hours of the morning, I read about the detailed scaffolding of the dome and had a brief understanding of exactly where the House and Senate were located.

The trip was short but rare. I had the wonderful experience of sitting where mine and 435 other representatives --in no specific order-- sit and listen to Congressman Adrian Smith (R-NB) talk about what politics is really like, what politicians think of the media, the administration and his beginnings (all with his slant and agenda thrown in just like any other good politician).

The Smithsonian: I WAS A KID AGAIN. There's nothing like learning all those facts you knew back in 5th grade. My favorite: the ocean exhibit and the COLOSSAL -yes, colossal- whale in the middle of the exhibit. I may not know how to swim but I will always love the water.

Live jazz band: Tuesday night on the town in Georgetown. Go to Saloun! Probably one of the most fun nights I've had so far but it had more to do about the company rather than the place. However, I can say I've never experienced more culture. From the museums to free music and festivals, I'm learning so much and constantly keeping my eyes and ears peeled for more.

Journalism:
DISCLAIMER: the fact that I'm spending my summer with a conservative program does influence the opinions and thoughts I hear. Nonetheless, tonight I heard from two conservative political commentators who adamantly believe that their open bias makes them a better journalist. It's upsetting to hear present and future journalists think that their job is to sell and entertain--give the public what they want.
WHAT HAPPENED TO GIVING THE PUBLIC WHAT THEY NEED?
What happened to informing? Reporting? SERVING the American citizen?
I am not naive. I believe journalism serves a higher purpose. It's about the truth and revealing it. Challenging the opposition...however, you can do this without GETTING INVOLVED.

A journalist is not a politician and should not try to be one.

As students walked out hearing these speakers, I heard discussions about how hard a political commentators job is. IT IS NOT A HARD JOB. It's a lucky job. Who wouldn't want to get paid for yammering about their opinions on air?

Try being a reporter and delivering the news and giving the public the RIGHT to make their own decisions.

I feel like I'm going against the grain here, but I hope I never lose sight of this.

सत्याग्रह
Satyagraha- the force of truth.
God, let it be bigger than the force of ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment