03 June 2011

Clutch

Like a good hometown fan would do, I watched the Mavericks/Heat game last night AND like a dedicated fan would do, I did not turn off my TV when the Heat had an 15 point lead with 6 minutes left in the 4th.
(I lower my head in shame and shake my finger at YOU, fairweather fan. Tsk tsk.)

The last 6 minutes could only be described as clutch. The Mavs understood that if they didn't deliver then, they could kiss that Larry O'Brien trophy good-bye.

My reasonable guess: Kidd and Nowitzki probably saw what all that they had worked for this season slipping through their fingers (like the ball, for much of the game) and reacted.

What Tyson Chandler said: After Wade made his 3-point shot right in front of the Mavericks bench, the team had to show them that the game wasn't over.

Way to go, team.

I'll be honest, I thought the game was over after Wade's shot. I was ready to go to bed but I hoped that my team could turn it around.

This week I've been pondering a similar story that ended sadly.
In 1 Samuel 13, War with the Philistines is about to break out and Saul is told to wait for seven days, for Samuel to come and make a sacrifice on the Israelites' behalf. On the seventh day, Saul gets impatient, sees his people scattering from him and decides to take matters in his own hands. Samuel, who shows up at the last minute but on time, catches Saul in the act. The unlawful sacrifice costs Saul the throne.

Samuel was clutch, but Saul was ready to get it over with. How often are we too impatient to wait for God's immpeccable timing and plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment